• If this is your first time visiting our new and Improved NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips.

(You can dismiss this notice by clicking the red X in this notice box)

Commercial Building Science: Air Barriers

Adair Inspection

Well-Known Community Member
NACBI Member

Join our Webinar on February 28

Commercial Building Science: Air Barriers

February 28, 2018
2:00-3:00PM EST
1.0 AIA LU, HSW Approved, 1.0 GBCI, 1.0 RCI

Do your walls need to breathe?
I often pause when someone tells me they want their building to “breathe.” I’m both happy and confused all at once. What do they mean by breathe? To have a successful conversation we first have to understand how air flow and drying potential contribute to the long term durability of a building.

Join us for this month's webinar presentation:
  • Learn how various air barrier systems effect the wall’s “dew point”
  • Describe the three types of air flow paths
  • Explain installation details related to fenestration products
  • Understand the three pressure differential effects
  • State the code requirement for attic ventilation

REGISTER TODAY
Upcoming Webinars

March 29
Introduction to Gypsum Area Separation Firewalls
Register

April 27
Landscape and Residential Fence Systems: An Overview
Register

View Full Calendar

From the Blog

Can You Design for Durability?

Yes, but too often assumptions get in the way. (And you know what they say about assumptions.) Read more

F O L L O W
This email has been sent on behalf of CertainTeed and its affiliates. We are happy to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. For all inquiries about CertainTeed visit certainteed.com or call 1.800.346.3537

20 Moores Road, Malvern, PA 19355
© 2018 CERTAINTEED. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

MarcelCyr

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
I like that Article Barry. I think this excerpt explains it all.

"From a Building Science perspective your drying potential must always exceed your wetting potential. If you can’t dry faster than you wet you are doomed."

Now only if all the tradesman involved in the Building could understand that would the durability of the structure evolve.

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member
I wish I could say what I'm seeing daily was getting better but I absolutely can't this was at a $1M+ shaq
00000033 (Large).JPG

under 2nd floor window moisture detected

00000043 (Large).JPG

grade level downspout splashing and absent kick out flashings caused wicking and OSB failure from moisture absorption

00000007 (Large).JPG

interior moisture readings were off the chart at all window, door and utility penetrations

00000008 (Large).JPG

when it's this wet inside the structure has significant rot damage and plan on spending in the 10s if not 100s of thousands in repairs/replacements

Call or email me if I can be of service.

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member
How old was that shaq Bear? How will something like this be corrected if at all? Obviously, the shaq won't sell to this client, will it?
5yrs
I've had them this bad or worse @ 1 yr
Most I've been involved with they tear off back to solid framing & start over
They usually pay much closer attention to all prescriptive installation instructions
It's still listed & being considered if they can hammer out the price

Last edited:

MarcelCyr

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
5yrs
I've had them this bad or worse @ 1 yr
Most I've been involved with they tear off back to solid framing & start over
They usually pay much closer attention to all prescriptive installation instructions
It's still listed & being considered if they can hammer out the price
Somebody,s going to lose some money here. Seller going to bite the bullet on this or will they try to sell to someone as is hoping it won't get inspected like you did?

Carl Brown aka. StuccoBoy

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
BA

Do they put plastic under the sheet rock in the GREAT state of Texas?

AKA. Air barrier.

AKA. TERRARIUM. Seal up both sides of the wall and it all ROTS.

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member
Nope, we don't do plastic here.
No need for any extra materials they can't install the required materials correctly.

MarcelCyr

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
The NAHB commissioned study went on to state:
". . .homes surveyed ages two to six are experiencing structural damage due to excessive moisture buildup within walls. The cause of the moisture accumulation is rain water intrusion from a combination of factors including: improper sealing at joints and around windows, doors, and other penetrations; improperly sloped horizontal EIFS surfaces; inadequate flashing at roof lines, dormers, decks, etc.; and window frames that leak into wall cavities."

• “Short-cuts” are often taken in the application of EIFS systems, causing the primary face seal moisture barrier to fail and leak (lack of proper caulking, flashing, etc.).
  • The integrity of the second line of defense is highly dependent on correct detailing by the designer and proper installation by the builder and his subcontractors. Very often, flashings, housewrap, windows, doors, etc., are improperly installed.
  • EIFS does not breathe and will not allow trapped moisture to evaporate easily, which can cause great damage over time.

EIFS Facts

By Douglas Pencille
Do you agree with this Barry?