1. If this is your first time visiting our new and Improved NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips.

(You can dismiss this notice by clicking the red X in this notice box)
    Dismiss Notice

CONSTRUCTION DEFECTS - CAUSES OF FAILURES OF BUILDING ENVELOPES

Discussion in 'Commercial Exteriors' started by Ray Thoroman, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Ray Thoroman

Ray Thoroman Community Post Master NACBI Member

A very nice article/blog in regards to failures of building envelopes by Metropolitan Consulting Engineering & Forensics

Metropolitan Engineering Consulting & Forensics - Expert Engineers : CONSTRUCTION DEFECTS - CAUSES OF FAILURES OF BUILDING ENVELOPES

This reminded me of a commercial property condition assessment we recently performed in Lexington KY. Right away we noticed moisture staining and damage around the window units, sheetrock walls and drop ceilings inside this 30,000 square foot 3 story office building. We popped a ceiling tile and more moisture damage was observed at the wood floor structure, steel beams, sheetrock, insulation etc. We went outside and immediately saw heavy staining around the windows. They installed a weep vent screen system. The lintel's were heavily corroded with rust and deterioration. This building was only approximately 10 years old.

Without being able to perform any destructive evaluation, testing or removal of the cladding, I would almost say that they did not flash the cladding properly, possibly insufficient air gaps and certainly the weep vents were recessed in the brick cladding showing daylight inside at the rim joist/steel beam.

Going to be a major cost to correct!

We've seen this in all through-out Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida.

2. Ray Thoroman

DSC09342.JPG DSC09155.JPG DSC09163.JPG DSC09173.JPG DSC09179.JPG DSC09191.JPG DSC09340.JPG

Chuck Forman likes this.
  3. Ray Thoroman

DSC02684.jpg DSC02476.jpg DSC02478.jpg DSC02479.jpg DSC02489.jpg DSC02514.jpg

4. Adair Inspection

Adair Inspection Community Post Master NACBI Member

Almost anywhere there are buildings.
    I've recently done a number of newer Gov. owned/managed that sound very similar.
    It appears with all of the advances in materials someone forgot that training the designers & installers is critical to the performance equation.

5. Ray Thoroman

Agree Badair! I'm sure you've seen this many x's over in your area of Texas and surrounding states!

6. Dale Duffy

Dale Duffy Administrator Staff Member NACBI Member

Shame the building is falling apart in 10 years, but that's the way they're built this day and age, disposable after 20 years....(if it lasts that long).

Chuck Forman likes this.