1. If this is your first time visiting our new and Improved NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips.

(You can dismiss this notice by clicking the red X in this notice box)
    Dismiss Notice

Durolast Issues?

Discussion in 'Commercial Roofs' started by JuliaJ, Feb 20, 2017.

1. JuliaJ

JuliaJ New Poster

I am considering using Durolast on a 15,000 sq. ft. commercial warehouse. I am getting mixed reviews on the product from doing a bit of research. It seems like it is the best PVC product out there with durability, quality and the warranty they offer.

Why would I go with a different product?

Does anyone have any bad experiences with them?

2. Bill Warner

Bill Warner Administrator Staff Member NACBI Member

It's been my experience that regardless of the brand or material, the estimated useful life (EUL) of any roof membrane primarily relies upon the quality of the installation and the routine diligent maintenance/inspections performed on it during its service life.
    Get a bad installation, the roof system is destined for premature failure.
    Have a "set it and forget it" or reactive as opposed to proactive stance on maintenance and repairs, and again... the roof system is destined for premature failure.

I've seen Duro-Last roof systems in good shape after many years of service, where the high level of care and maintenance was quite apparent. Then I've seen other Duro-Last systems in need of significant repairs and/or replacement after only a relatively short time of service due to poor installations or gross negligence in regards to maintenance practices.

That being said, I have also seen some aged Duro-Last roof membranes with significant "craze" cracking which I blame on faulty/inferior material with a short lifespan. I believe there are better products available in TPO and EPDM.

Adair Inspection likes this.
  3. Ray Thoroman

Ray Thoroman Community Member NACBI Member

Great advice Bill!

4. Chuck Forman

Chuck Forman Community Post Master NACBI Member

I would have to consider going with an EPDM membrane. Here in Colorado the Duralast membranes, as well as most TPO membranes, don't seem to last that long due to the extreme sun as well as the extreme temperature differentials between night and day. Typical life expectancy out of a TPO membrane here is about 10 years. Of course like Bill said a lot of it depends upon the installation process and the pre installation preparation of the existing roofing system.

Bill Warner likes this.