1. If this is your first time visiting our new and Improved NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips.

(You can dismiss this notice by clicking the red X in this notice box)
    Dismiss Notice

NACBI Members take heed!!

Discussion in 'Industry Tidbits' started by John Bowman, Feb 15, 2017.

1. John Bowman

John Bowman NACBI Staff Staff Member NACBI Member

Paypal is changing their fees when dealing with buyers from outside the U.S. These changes may come into play with your future proposals. To view the full amendment go to PayPal

I quote: "Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement

A summary of changes is provided.

• We’ve updated the “Payment Method Used for My Transaction” section to describe changes that give you more control and choice in how you want to pay. Updates include how to select a preferred payment method, the ability to see and choose from multiple payment methods when you check out on a merchant website, and greater clarity about how Preapproved Payments work and how you can manage them.
    • We are changing the currency conversion spread charged when we perform a currency conversion for you from charging an additional 2.5% over the exchange rate set by our bank to charging an additional 3.0% over the exchange rate set by our bank.
    • We are updating the list of items that are not eligible for Purchase Protection. The updates to the list are:
      • Financial products or investments of any kind.
      • Donations.
      • Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality.
      • Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay or guest checkout transactions (i.e., payments not sent using your PayPal account).
    • We are updating the eligibility requirements for Purchase Protection to require that you must respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in a timely manner.
    • We are adding a non-discouragement clause for sellers that provides:
      • In representations to your customers or in public communications, you agree not to mischaracterize PayPal as a payment method. At all of your points of sale (in whatever form), you agree not to try to dissuade or inhibit your customers from using PayPal; and, if you enable your customers to pay you with PayPal, you agree to treat PayPal’s payment mark at least at par with other payment methods offered.
    • We are changing the standard transaction fee for sellers selling goods or services online to buyers outside the U.S. from 3.9% to 4.4% plus the existing fixed fee based on the currency.
    • We are changing the standard transaction fee for in store transactions received from buyers outside the U.S. from 3.7% to 4.2%.
    • We are removing the tier based fees we charge to nonprofits who receive payments from senders outside the U.S. and are charging a flat rate of 3.7% plus the existing fixed fee based on the currency for all such transactions.
    • We are changing the micropayment fees for in store transactions received from buyers outside the U.S. from 6.0% to 6.5% plus the existing fixed fee based on the currency.
    • We are clarifying that we will assess the $20.00 chargeback processing fee for sellers who win a chargeback but are not eligible for Seller Protection.
    • We are adding the ability to create a negative balance in your PayPal account when we reverse a payment to cover eBay buyer protection claims that the seller loses.
    • We are updating the basic requirements for Seller Protection by requiring that you must respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in a timely manner or you will not be eligible for Seller Protection.
    • We are updating the list of items that are not eligible for Seller Protection. The updates to the list are:
      • Donations.
      • Financial products or investments of any kind.
      • Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality.
      • Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay.
    • PayPal is updating its set off rights allowing us to debit a PayPal account when an amount owed to PayPal, our affiliates or eBay, Inc. becomes past due by removing the 180 day past due requirement.
    • We’ve updated our list of restricted activities to ensure we can protect our customers from attempts to misuse or gain unauthorized access to our systems. We’ve also made clear that these restricted activities include actions to PayPal-operated systems or systems operated on PayPal’s behalf.
    • We are making clear that our existing rights to limit or terminate your access to PayPal systems applies to systems operated on PayPal’s behalf. We have also added the right to suspend your access to any of the PayPal services.
    • We are updating our limitation of liability section to clarify that existing limitations of liability apply to situations affecting systems operated on PayPal’s behalf in addition to PayPal operated systems. "

Adair Inspection likes this.
  2. Chuck Forman

Chuck Forman Community Post Master NACBI Member

Thanks and Damn!

3. Dale Duffy

Dale Duffy Administrator Staff Member NACBI Member

Screw paypal....I only use Square now.

4. Jeffrey R Jonas

Jeffrey R Jonas Community Member NACBI Member

I use only PayPal for all electronic and credit card transaction. The fee is just another business expense that the client pays for either directly or indirectly as the case may be.

Just curious... how often do youse guys have "Out-of-Country" clients? To the best of my recollection, not counting Canada (only a few anyway), I believe for me it has been something like zero times in 20 years.

Dale Duffy likes this.
  5. Dale Duffy

Yeah, that's true, Jeff....I really don't get many CC transactions anyway. I specifically tell the buyer to BRING a CHECK, prior to our engagement...:cautious:

Jeffrey R Jonas likes this.
  6. Adair Inspection

Adair Inspection Community Post Master NACBI Member

20+ yrs chk/cash only
    i think i lost 1 shaq yrs ago cuz the guy wanted to pay with co. cc to get airline miles
    i needed a nap anyway

Dale Duffy and Jeffrey R Jonas like this.
  7. Jeffrey R Jonas

Ditto that. Very few CC per year. Mostly checks now-a-days. There was a time not long ago everyone paid in cash, regardless how much the fee was. Obviously the bigger companies are/were always check.

Dale Duffy likes this.
  8. John Bowman

John Bowman NACBI Staff Staff Member NACBI Member

This is good news. Glad to see that no one accepts any form of bank payment (Debit, Credit or bank transfer) via Paypal.

Dale Duffy likes this.
  9. Dale Duffy

I think Square charges me 2.75%, regardless of the card, which is acceptable if a CC is a must. I don't mind eating 10-20 bucks once in awhile.

10. Dale Duffy

Additionally, Square has the options now similar to paypal, you can create invoices, etc. Clients don't have to swipe their card, like they did when Square first came to fruition, just send an invoice if they're not at the inspection.

I usually just ask clients to mail a check if they are not at the inspection. I've never been burnt yet.

11. Jeffrey R Jonas

Instant payment from any smartphone/device anywhere you have service--->>> paypal.me/InspectorJeff

BOOM!!! <<<mike drop>>>

Easy peasy (y)

Bill Warner and Dale Duffy like this.
  12. Ray Thoroman

Ray Thoroman Active Community Member NACBI Member

Oh PayPal how I dislike thee. They just hammered me hard on asking for all kinds of information about me and my biz. I almost had to give blood.

I've been with them 15 years. Never asked for anything. Only had like 2 chargeback requests all resolved. I do a lot of PayPal transactions, thousands in fees to them. The client isn't at the inspection, commercial they are usually out of state/city. Some PayPal transactions have been mid 5 figures! Then this year they ask for articles of incorporation, bank statements, specific information about transactions, business license, and it just went on and on. You can speak to the compliant review department at ALL! Its like they are the secret service on steroids. This went on for 40 days and finally got an email saying your account has been restored you're all good lol. Rubbed me the wrong way forsure. So I'm looking at like authorize. net or an alternative.

On top of that I use PayPal for regular purchases.... hell many storefronts take PayPal now like Home Depot. So they get a lot of business from me. I like them because there is no gateway or merchant fees etc. BTW, only a handful of customers out of country. Usually they are from Europe or Canada.

13. Dale Duffy

Indeed....SCREW paypal....Square is the gig, no shit from Square, money is in my account the next day.

14. Jeffrey R Jonas

Wow, I wonder what triggered the inquiries. I also have been with Paypal since like '02 ? Have never had any issues (with them). Only complaint ever was with that Humphries asshole that stole our monies, and then played the deadlines game and stroked me until he was free and clear and I had zero recourse to recoup my loss!
    Anyway, I have not received any inquiries such as you Ray. I'll post if I ever do.
    Note: I've dealt with many other such vendors in the past, and get tired of the games they play, or going belly-up, or simply discontinue their programs, such as Google Checkout/Wallet. The small higher fees of Paypal is worth the peace of mind... to me.