1. If this is your first time visiting our new and Improved NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips.

(You can dismiss this notice by clicking the red X in this notice box)
    Dismiss Notice

Natural Phenomenon Captured During Infrared Flat Roof Survey

Discussion in 'Thermography (Infrared Inspection) Topics' started by Brian Marcy, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Brian Marcy

Brian Marcy Community Member NACBI Member

I was recently doing an infrared flat roof survey on an EPDM membrane covered roof and captured an interesting natural process that I'd like to share. The scan started about an hour after sunset on a 70 degree day. By the end it was down to about 55 degrees with condensation forming on the surface of the roof. I started seeing some very unique thermal patterns and was able to capture some good images. I'll post the images below then explain what they show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An open and shut case of moisture below the surface - right?

[​IMG]
    Wait a second! Why is moisture BELOW the surface affected by a cable ABOVE the surface?

[​IMG]
    Let's take a closer look.

Upon closer examination we can see that the thermal exception resembles ice crystals. We can also see that the thermal imager is showing temperatures in the 20s. Of course the condensation would freeze at temperatures in the 20s, but it was never below 55 degrees that night. To understand what happened, it's necessary to think thermally.

As stated above, the roof surface was covered with an EPDM membrane. One of the biggest challenges faced when performing an infrared roof survey on an EPDM membrane is that it is very reflective of thermal radiation. I often see reflections of parapet walls, RTU's, or even the people I'm working with.

This time I was seeing a reflection of the sky, and the sky is cold! What's interesting is that my thermal camera isn't the only thing "fooled" by the reflected temperature. As condensation formed in a very thin film, it was flash frozen by the reflected temperatures. Since the actual roof temperature (not reflected temp) was above freezing, the condensation almost immediately thawed.

Case closed? Not quite. None of this explains why the frozen water appears to be warmer than the roof surface. For this we have to take into account the reflective nature of the EPDM and the thermal density properties of water. In addition to water having greater thermal density than the atmospheric conditions reflected from above, it's also worth noting that ice on earth is warmer than the space above.

Has anybody else had an interesting experience with thermal exceptions not being what they initially seemed to be?

2. Bill Warner

Bill Warner Administrator Staff Member NACBI Member

GREAT explanation from a Grand Rapids infrared roof inspection!!

3. Terry Clayton

Terry Clayton Community Post Master NACBI Member

Very nicely written. Early in the summer we had a hot day and the evening temperature dramatically with high humidity and as the EPDM started to cool and condensate started forming I started seeing areas of the EPDM that were not condensing so I started scanning and found these areas to show as possible moisture trapped under the EPDM this continued throughout the evening and was able to use a flashlight to identify these spots quickly, first time this ever happened.

Bill Warner likes this.
  4. Chuck Forman

Chuck Forman Community Post Master NACBI Member

Nice job. Thank you for sharing and the education.

Brian Marcy likes this.