• If this is your first time visiting our NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips to use this site.
    Members Only sections are restricted and will indicate "No Content" until you are approved as a memeber of NACBI and logged in to the messgae board.

Dutch Magic/Powwowing

John Bowman

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Were these homeowners duped by their home inspector. No they were not. A visual inspection would not have disclosed this problem.

Would a Thermographer have caught this during a thermal energy evaluation. Absolutely! With a little effort, an experienced and trained thermographer would have detected some strange anomalies in the walls, not necessarily identifying them as animal bones and other artifacts, but at minimum would have noted absence of insulation, strange thermal bridging patterns, and subsequent voids in the exterior walls. It would require a little more effort if these were placed in interior partition walls, but that could also be done!

Bill Warner

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Never heard of such a thing as "powwowing'! That's crazy stuff there!

Agree with you John! An experienced thermographer would certainly pick up some odd looking patterns in the exterior (perimeter) walls if conditions were right. Using a portable heat source, one could heat an adjacent room and scan from the other to identify interior walls containing odd patterns consistent with objects like they found in them.

I seriously doubt the mold issues and odors they mentioned had anything to do with the bones from the 1930's in them. That in my opinion (of course I'm not there) I would strongly suspect other unrelated or barely related issues going on with the home... which could also be potentially identified by a qualified thermographer using the right equipment.

Terry Clayton

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
Guess I need to rewrite my disclaimer!