• If this is your first time visiting our NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips to use this site.
    Members Only sections are restricted and will indicate "No Content" until you are approved as a memeber of NACBI and logged in to the messgae board.

EPDM with stone ballast

John Ritter

Community Member
NACBI Member
Is it typical to use what looks like river rock in your area for ballast? Also I would think that area on the parapet not sealing vertically would crack and start to leak. Something to monitor.

Bill Warner

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
It is unfortunately common to have river rock ballast on EPDM around here.
Agreed that this area is susceptible to further damage. Any idea as to what the underlying cause for the membrane pulling away from the parapet wall is? Or more specifically what it is called?

John Ritter

Community Member
NACBI Member
Just something to think about.

John Ritter

Community Member
NACBI Member
Bill , I would call it a blister because it has air and maybe moisture trapped behind it. Possible cause there was no glue behind this area, and with some shrinkage,

Bill Warner

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
The photos are only a couple of several concerns with this roof.
My client was with me (or at least their maintenance supervisor who by the way was an excellent second set of eyes during the entire inspection) and concurred that the roof covering was a severe concern requiring immediate replacement. We were both surprised to find little evidence of problems in ceilings below this roof. But we both suspected the spongy insulation was soaking up the majority of the evidence.

Chuck Forman

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
We find gravel ballast on EPDM roofs around here constantly. The main reasons for it here is 1) UV protection as we have some really intense sun around here especially being a mile high. 2) Hail protection. As far as the delaminating is concerned I would consider the fact that the picture of the corner appears to have the improper type of sealant on it so they may have run low on the proper adhesive and used the same product. More likely it was either a lack of the proper amount of adhesive or possibly adhesive applied to a surface that was not prepared properly. Just my 2 cents worth. Either way you are correct in the fact that it requires attention.