• If this is your first time visiting our NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips to use this site.
    Members Only sections are restricted and will indicate "No Content" until you are approved as a memeber of NACBI and logged in to the messgae board.

FLIR 420 issues

Dale Duffy

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Dave, or anyone else familiar with FLIR Cams....I have the 420.

Anyone ever have the screen start flashing?

Hard to explain, it was basically flashing a thermal image and then whiteout across the screen while I was trying to use the cam inside a building. I turned it off, back on, and the cam went back to normal.

Never had this occur in the past.

Wondering if I should send it into FLIR and get a $2,000.00 invoice from the damn thieves with some bizarre explanation stating they couldn't replicate the anomaly, but here is your invoice.

David Andersen

Active Community Member
NACBI Member
I have had that happen with some older cameras. Processor glitch. Never cam back in 5 yrs... Never repaired. I think it was battery issue.

Now, I am having a problem with my T-400 digital part of the camera. The rotating head is getting a bad connection with the camera body and taking white/green pics or splitting the photo (pitting the left on the right and right on the left. ???

I can watch it happen if I put it on digital and turn the head. Exercise it and it goes away. ?!

I just had the camera checked at the last convention in Nashville and nothing happened then. It would happen once in a great while, now it's more often. I don't plan on going to the next convention even though FLIR has sent me invites numerous times this week. I'm not too big on Las Vegas.
Probably needs to go in for a cleanup/tuneup.

Dale Duffy

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Strange Dave....mine isn't doing it anymore either. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed before sending it to FLIR and getting a $2,000 bill with some bizarre reason something had to be done.

One of these days I'm selling it and buying a Fluke again.

Bill Warner

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
There is a lot of processes going on in these (regardless of brand) with self calibration, auto ranging (if set), spot temps, distance calcs, etc., etc. I have a feeling the processor just wigs out some times. But like Dave said, sometimes the battery will act up causing things to wig out or simply freeze. When this happens, I switch battery packs and all is back to normal.

My older camera had same issues as Dave. The visual light module (VLM or visible light camera) was in the rotating part of the camera. The camera eventually stopped working. It went into the shop twice for this under warranty (although I had to fight for warranty repair the second go around).

It eventually started acting up again where the buttons stopped working unless I rotated the thing to 90 deg offset. That's when I upgraded to my TiX520

Dale Duffy

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
There is a lot of processes going on in these (regardless of brand) with self calibration, auto ranging (if set), spot temps, distance calcs, etc., etc. I have a feeling the processor just wigs out some times. But like Dave said, sometimes the battery will act up causing things to wig out or simply freeze. When this happens, I switch battery packs and all is back to normal.

My older camera had same issues as Dave. The visual light module (VLM or visible light camera) was in the rotating part of the camera. The camera eventually stopped working. It went into the shop twice for this under warranty (although I had to fight for warranty repair the second go around).

It eventually started acting up again where the buttons stopped working unless I rotated the thing to 90 deg offset. That's when I upgraded to my TiX520
You got a LOT of use out of that last cam...hell, I bet I don't have 20 total hours on my cam, and it's already been exchanged the second week I had it because it wouldn't focus. I think FLIR makes less than quality cameras for lay folks like us. Now when it comes to military cameras, I'm sure they do a much better job.