• If this is your first time visiting our NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips to use this site.
    Members Only sections are restricted and will indicate "No Content" until you are approved as a memeber of NACBI and logged in to the messgae board.

NACBI members provide Aerial Thermography for flat roof scans and other building diagnostics!

Bill Warner

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
I am excited to announce that @David Andersen and myself with assistance from @ART SCHLANGEN have been working closely with a properly licensed unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV or drone) operator company to be able to provide our clients with options for aerial infrared building scans. With this partnership, we are better able to help building owners and managers detect and document moisture in flat, or low slope insulated commercial roof systems by performing aerial infrared scans throughout the United States. This is particularly helpful in keeping costs reasonable for clients or building owners of very large roof surfaces or buildings with roofs that are difficult to access or scan via foot.
The UAV is equipped with an ICI 9640 P-Series infrared camera, providing high image sensitivity and accuracy in a 640x480 radiometric imager. With less than five cubic inches in overall dimension, the ICI 9640 compliments UAV applications and provides real time radiometric data streamed directly to the ground control station during flight. Images are captured in flight approximately 40 to 60 feet from the building envelope, and 50 to 200 feet above the roof. The aerial images acquired during flight for each project are converted into highly precise orthomosaic results for a wide range of analysis.

These Aerial IR services are cutting edge and non-destructive diagnostic tools that can be used to accurately and efficiently find hidden moisture in client's roofs. Accurate results ensure the most cost effective, proactive, reliable and long-term solutions to provide Arial Thermal Imaging Services that are more cost effective than organizing and implementing fixed wing or other manned aerial services for similar purposes. As such, all NACBI members can offer Aerial Roof scans through this mutual partnership!

Below is an example of a finished orhtomosaic infrared flat roof inspection compiled from a series of infrared images taken of the subject commercial building using the UAV and ICI 9640P Infrared Camera (quality and sized reduced for the forum):

pilot iron_mosaic_group2.jpg

Additional Aerial Inspection services beyond Aerial Infrared can also be offered by NACBI members including 4K video (visible light); 3D modeling, mapping and surveying; and volumetric measuring.

Bill Warner

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
This partnership is for ALL NACBI members! Whether you currently offer IR services or not!
We will be developing some marketing materials for the NACBI website as well marketing you can use for your individual websites!

Terry Clayton

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
outstanding

CBottger

Community Member
I luv it I have done one aerial from a rented helicopter but just could not develop that any further cost was a killer

Chuck Forman

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
I am still waiting to purchase the Flir IR camera for my drone. Of course when I spoke with our local drone supply store they informed me that the new Flir camera will not work on my drone. I think I will check into that with Flir before I make the decision to purchase another drone. Also, I need a lot more time flying my drone before I strap a 4,000.00 camera to the bottom of it.

ART SCHLANGEN

New Poster
NACBI Member
Chuck, FYI you must be a license pilot and register with the FAA before you can use drones for financial gain. That has been the hold up before now. Bill, Dave and I have been talking about this for a few years. These guys approach me a couple of months ago asking for input. I contact Bill, we sat down for a meeting and started the plan. Dave was brought in and the plan came together. So the point here unless you have your pilot license and filled out the proper paper work you could be fined so please use caution. These guys have already done this, they said it was a long process. This service could help on large projects.
ART

David Andersen

Active Community Member
NACBI Member
Art, I have Tom Coffee looking into a mid range Gas Finder Camera for the drone.
If we can't find one, we can get one made.
Could you use this on an oil rig?!

ART SCHLANGEN

New Poster
NACBI Member
Dave, I don't think it would work gas is very light in weight. Every thing I seen you have to be fairly close on a rig, unless there is zero wind and that very unlikely.

Chuck Forman

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
I will have to recheck that. I know it was the direction they were leaning but the FAA came out and said that you simply had to register with the FAA, obtain a license and avoid no fly/drone zones. If flying for commercial purposes you must obtain a section 333 waiver through the FAA.

David Andersen

Active Community Member
NACBI Member
Dave, I don't think it would work gas is very light in weight. Every thing I seen you have to be fairly close on a rig, unless there is zero wind and that very unlikely.
I am working with Tom Coffee (formerly Flir's Gas Finder Instructor).

Contrast and distance does have issues, but I guess it's about what we're looking for.

upload_2016-3-28_10-3-17.jpeg