• If this is your first time visiting our NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips to use this site.
    Members Only sections are restricted and will indicate "No Content" until you are approved as a memeber of NACBI and logged in to the messgae board.

pulsating h20

Adair Inspection

Well-Known Community Member
NACBI Member
1st for me
watch vid Dropbox - H2O pulsation.MPG
any ideas of the cause & cure
when sillcock was not obstructed by the multiple gauges i carry, flow was constant, no pulsation, flow or pressure loss when either sillcock or multiple fixtures were operated
wasn't going to try & move their lg turbowash and try at the laundry bib
2008 closed loop pex manifold system with prv & expansion tank present
static pressure is generally within the 40~80psi as required & most properties i've done in this area are ok

Last edited:

Bill Warner

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Malfunctioning vacuum breaker? Or perhaps a bad spigot casing/casting/machining preventing proper gasket seal, and allowing air into the line. I've even heard of a poor connection at flexible supply line crimps allowing air to siphon in, but not show as a plumbing leak.

If it were occurring at other fixtures, I'd suspect the PRV or expansion tank. But my educated guess is this is isolated to the spigot.

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member
ty Mr. Bill defective vb diaphragm seems to be consensus
never had 1 pulsate & got aroused

Chuck Forman

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
Does the home have a pvb on the main line? There doesn't appear to be one on the hose bib itself. Has it been below freezing there lately? Strange that it is only happening at the one fixture. Please let us know what you find out.

John Bowman

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Do they have frostfree sillcocks in Texas? This is a common trait for them when defective.

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member
Does the home have a pvb on the main line? There doesn't appear to be one on the hose bib itself. Has it been below freezing there lately? Strange that it is only happening at the one fixture. Please let us know what you find out.
hose bibbs have defective vb diaphragm...no freeze temps upper 40s~70s

Do they have frostfree sillcocks in Texas? This is a common trait for them when defective.
some ffsc...not the problem in this case

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member

John Bowman

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Figures. That would have made it too easy.

Next question...

Does it have a bladder or pressure vessel on any system other than a water heater?
To follow up....Does it have a Demand or Instantaneous Water Heater System?

I'm thinking along the lines of trap air entering or bypassing the check system and escaping through the water supply system.

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member
Figures. That would have made it too easy.

Next question...

Does it have a bladder or pressure vessel on any system other than a water heater?
To follow up....Does it have a Demand or Instantaneous Water Heater System?

I'm thinking along the lines of trap air entering or bypassing the check system and escaping through the water supply system.
no
no
no
hose bibbs have defective vb diaphragm
it's been resolved to the client's satisfaction
has Duphy's nb cut off the circulation ;~))

John Bowman

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Oh my heavens....I read right over it. I thought you were still deliberating, hadn't realized till after re-reading one of your cryptic messages that it was resolved. Sorry...

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member
Oh my heavens....I read right over it. I thought you were still deliberating, hadn't realized till after re-reading one of your cryptic messages that it was resolved. Sorry...
JB i'll try and enunciate my typing better in the future just fer you