• If this is your first time visiting our NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips to use this site.
    Members Only sections are restricted and will indicate "No Content" until you are approved as a memeber of NACBI and logged in to the messgae board.

Roof safety reminder

Adair Inspection

Well-Known Community Member
NACBI Member
On today's commercial property inspection I was again reminded about the constant diligence and awareness of our surrounding we must maintain during elevated areas inspections.
The company that was leasing the building I was inspecting had a recent fatal fall incident at another location.
A 30 plus year experienced roofing employee fell through a skylight.
Obviously the skylight did not meet current standards.
No job is worth loss of life, everyone work safe everyday.

If you own or lease property please assure all safety requirements are met, you'll be able to live better with a clear conscience that you've done everything you can for all concerned.

All NACBI members are able and more than willing to help you assess your properties.

Last edited:

Chuck Forman

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
Thanks for the reminder Mr. Adair. I know I try to always be aware of my surroundings, especially when working on a roof or any elevated area, but I have caught myself forgetting my surroundings at times. Always great of you guys to bring these things to our attention. We all need a reminder now and then.

MarcelCyr

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
Thanks Barry for the reminder. I had a love shack inspection on Wednesday, and the roof material was sheet metal and one side still had frost.
My wife had told me that morning, Please be careful on that roof. I am glad she did. But I just had to see that chimney.
Luckily, all went fine.

Adair Inspection

Well-Known Community Member
NACBI Member
McHammer
damp/wet/frost ain't fun on any sloped surface
heed the Bride's advice, always be careful my Friend!

MarcelCyr

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
http://simplifiedsafety.com/skylight-fall-protection/

Protect Your Skylights. Protect Your People.

There are two main solutions when it comes to skylight fall protection: skylight screens and skylight guardrail. Skylight screens (or skylight cages) provide fall protection by covering the skylight with a wire mesh framework. The wire mesh will let light through, but is made to absorb the weight of a falling person. Skylight screens come in several styles and can protect most of the skylight types that are currently being used.See the chart belowto learn more about how skylight safety cages can provide fall protection for most skylights.

Skylight guardrail works the way that you would expect -- it puts a barrier between the person and the hazard. Skylight guardrail has special bases that do not penetrate the roof.

Skylight Screens
Skylight Guardrail

Chuck Forman

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
I never find any type of skylight fall protection here. We just had an hvac contractor die in downtown a couple of weeks ago. They were replacing the RTU's and he fell through the hole.

Terry Clayton

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
Marcel, is there more than 4" spacing between the rails, just kidding, all of the roofs I have been on over the last 30 years never have I seen1 of any sorts, I can certainly see the the use and will certainly recommend them for now on. Wonder why the insurance companies have not been pushing these.

MarcelCyr

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
Personally, in all the 40 years I spent building schools and what not, I never had a chance to see sky lights that had safety netting around them.
Most of some that I installed personally, supported my weight on either glass or Plexiglas double lined. :)

MarcelCyr

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
I haven't installed a skylight in so many years now, that I don't know what kind of junk they have. Probably the same as down your way.

Right now, still doing Love Shacks as you call it.
Did one yesterday for the second time for same client.
One more next Wednesday for a guy coming up from Texas buying a camp 100 years old for $39,000. Go figure.
Once he gave me the MLS# I called him back and raised my price, but not enough, he still agreed to it. :(

Dale Duffy

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
I haven't installed a skylight in so many years now, that I don't know what kind of junk they have. Probably the same as down your way.

Right now, still doing Love Shacks as you call it.
Did one yesterday for the second time for same client.
One more next Wednesday for a guy coming up from Texas buying a camp 100 years old for $39,000. Go figure.
Once he gave me the MLS# I called him back and raised my price, but not enough, he still agreed to it. :(
laughing my ass off.....:)

What do they consider "Camps" there?......a 3,000 sf. house in the "Woods"?......:ROFLMAO:

Dale Duffy

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Doesn't look like a "Camp" in the sense of the word I'm accustomed to using.

Was thinking about a house in the woods, nice view of a lake or mountains.

Good luck with that, hope you have the report completed by Monday.....:D