• If this is your first time visiting our NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips to use this site.
    Members Only sections are restricted and will indicate "No Content" until you are approved as a memeber of NACBI and logged in to the messgae board.

Stucco failing at wall accents

Dale Duffy

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
We inspected two buildings side by side the other day, both had the same type of stucco, installed wrong naturally.

At the top of the walls the architect decided it would look nice with some bizarre wall accents, which consist of a chunk of OSB with chicken wire-stucco and some foam figurines in the center, with foam pop-outs and stucco around the OSB. These wall accents are at the second floor around the entire building.

Naturally water got into the caulk joint at the top of the OSB, now the OSB has swelled outward about 1/2-3/4's of an inch...when it rains the water pours into the building like a funnel. I couldn't get any good pictures from my 26 foot ladder while we were at the property, so I'm going back Friday with a longer ladder to get better pictures for the buyer. I took pictures while hanging downward from the parapet but they don't do much justice with regard to how screwed up the stucco is.

Inside the building the baseboard trim is saturated with water around the perimeter. I would imagine the walls look similar to some of the pictures Carl has posted on Your-Leaking-House.

Anybody have any idea what it costs just to rip the stucco off and start over again. Not including any damaged framing? Just the cost per square foot to re-stucco the entire building.

I'll post some pictures after I return to the property. The ones I have are hard to make out from me hanging over the parapet taking pictures of the top of the wall accents.

John Bowman

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
Light-coat touch-up overlay - $25/SF is probably pretty close.

For complete removal and redoing from scratch can run from about $12/SF for stucco only on up to $17-20/SF for complete exterior surface reconstruction.

Adair Inspection

Well-Known Community Member
NACBI Member