• If this is your first time visiting our NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips to use this site.
    Members Only sections are restricted and will indicate "No Content" until you are approved as a memeber of NACBI and logged in to the messgae board.

Tar and Gravel

Dale Duffy

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
I don't see many tar and gravel built-up roofs in the Phoenix area. I also don't find the roof deck collapsing either, especially when built in 1980 and not receiving much annual rain in the greater Phoenix area. Looks are certainly deceiving. Walking on the roof it felt like I was surfing.

Anyone have an idea what it would cost per square to replace the steel decking and roof covering?

Attachments

Adair Inspection

Well-Known Community Member
NACBI Member

Dale Duffy

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
I was thinking about $500.00 bucks a square, I think your closer, Bill.

Thanks Barry...I wrote in the report for the buyer to get estimates, and stated to expect the cost to exceed $25,000.00

This roof had to be leaking since it was originally installed, I never seen anything like it. Generally an old built-up roof will last 50+ years here.

MarcelCyr

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
Last edited:

Chuck Forman

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
Walked a multi family property roof the other day and thought I was going to fall through the darn thing. The membrane was EPDM and looked great from above. When I felt the spongy feeling under foot I backed off the area. Walked around the side and could acutally pull the membrane up and back about 2 feet. The decking material was soaking wet and when tested with a moisture meter found an approximately 30 diameter area showing 99.9% moisture level. Buyers bailed on the purchase.

MarcelCyr

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
Walked a multi family property roof the other day and thought I was going to fall through the darn thing. The membrane was EPDM and looked great from above. When I felt the spongy feeling under foot I backed off the area. Walked around the side and could acutally pull the membrane up and back about 2 feet. The decking material was soaking wet and when tested with a moisture meter found an approximately 30 diameter area showing 99.9% moisture level. Buyers bailed on the purchase.
That must have been one lousy EPDM installation Chuck, to be that bad.

Chuck Forman

Community Post Master
NACBI Member
That must have been one lousy EPDM installation Chuck, to be that bad.
It was an issue with the adhesive. It looked like they ran out of the proper adhesive, which they used around the majority of the roofing system and then they switched to what appeared to be black silicone. Couldn't be certain without testing I suppose but it certainly wasn't the same adhesive used on the other parts of the roof. Either way one side of the membrane simply peeled back from the deckng.