• If this is your first time visiting our NACBI Community Forum, Please go to the READ ME FIRST section for information about registering and helpful tips to use this site.
    Members Only sections are restricted and will indicate "No Content" until you are approved as a memeber of NACBI and logged in to the messgae board.

Why here?

Jeff Moore

Community Member
NACBI Member
Took the cover off of this remote distribution panel in a closet containing an air handler.
Why copper wire to metal that cover is screwed to?

Attachments

Adair Inspection

Well-Known Community Member
NACBI Member
I did't think neutrals were to be bonded at a sub. Panels are in same building.
hey Jeff
pg 16 clearly illustrates improper & proper remote/auxiliary/sub panel bonding locations
minus screwdriver or a snip w/dikes would easily remedy ;~))

Attachments

Last edited:

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member
Thanks for the PDF Badair. I have seen bonding straps and screws but this home made one was a first for me.

learned much from "the Bride" her home made stuff is fabulous
when i see it pertaining to electrical, plumbing, mechanical work or components not so much

Bill Warner

Administrator
Staff member
NACBI Member
learned much from "the Bride" her home made stuff is fabulous
when i see it pertaining to electrical, plumbing, mechanical work or components not so much
LOL!!!

Adair Inspection

NACBI Member

David Deering

New Poster
I'll throw a monkey in your wrench for thought, just because single phase higher voltage feeds with a bare neutral are sort of rare except for electric range/oven scenarios.

The two cloth epoxy resin sheathed feeder cables entering from the rear of the panelboard terminate on the hot busbars which supply (2) 40A two-pole circuit breakers, which would indicate single phase sub-feeds to two loads at 208V or 240V or 480V, whatever the voltage happens to be.

Note the associated non-sheathed "bare" stranded grounded conductor in the main feeder entering from the rear of the panelboard tub which terminates on the insulated neutral busbar.

Now, change the color of the white grounded conductors to green and they become equipment grounds, the neutral busbar is actually a ground bar, and the bonding jumper to the box is required as an equipment housing ground.

The only sins in that scenario would be the use of white wire as a grounding conductor and labeling both out-going phases with red tape.

The installation is otherwise safe for use, if that were the actual scenario ... but that couldn't be confirmed without additional pictures of the the load terminations.

Two cents and two cents only! - Cheers! (y)